Now that we are home and that the trip is over, I wanted to share some of the things that I will miss and won’t miss from being on the road. Both the home and the road have their advantages and disadvantages. These are just a few things that kept crossing my mind while the trip was still going on, and are in no particular order.
I won’t miss:
- Worrying about bedbugs
- Not speaking the language
- Cold showers
- Carrying my ridiculously heavy purse everywhere
- Living out of a suitcase
- Men urinating in public
- Lumpy pillows and uncomfortable mattresses
- The lack of heat in cold places
- Slow internet
- Having to pay for drinking water
- Being unable to recycle
- Scorpions in bed
- Aggressive touts
- People listening to music on their phone without headphones.
And here is what I will miss:
- Being on the move
- Being flexible. If you like it, you stay. If you don’t, you leave
- Following summer
- Blue, blue water
- Not working
- Always trying new things
- Always discovering new foods, places, cultures
- Long train rides
- Constantly being stimulated and challenged
- Being free, or at least, feeling free.
What do you normally look forward to when getting home from a long trip? What do you normally miss about the open road once you get home?