Well, it’s been well over a month since we applied for an Iranian visa and we still haven’t heard back from them. Since then, we’ve also heard that getting permission to cross overland from Pakistan into Iran can be near impossible. Because of this, and because of the current uprising in Iran, we have decided to abandon that part of our trip.
I’m sad to not be able to get to Iran: Iran was the one place that I most wanted to visit on this trip. As such, I will not be able to complete some of the items on the 101 list. This also means that we will be skipping Pakistan, a ‘stan.
Since we no longer have places to be until May 16, when we will be meeting my mom in Turkey, we have been able to travel slower. Our visas for Bangladesh and India are quite long, which gives us a lot of flexibility. That is certainly a bonus after expecting to be on a tight schedule!
The thing is, we still need to figure out our next move. Our Indian visa expires on May 1st and we will probably need to fly into Istanbul as we will most likely not be able to make it there overland. So, we’ve come up with some options as to what we might want to do before getting into Turkey instead of the original plan. Here they are, in order of interest:
1. Fly from India into either Uzbekistan or Kazakhstan and visit the Aral Sea.
2. Fly from India into the Baltic States area.
3. Remain in India until the end of our visa, then cross into Nepal.
4. Fly from India into Eastern Europe (Ukraine, most likely) and go to Turkey overland.
Over the next few weeks, and most likely as we cross into India, the land of internet (I hope), we will weigh our options and choose our next course of action. Until then, we are enjoying slow travels.