I’ve been on Blogger for what now seems as ever, but as you’ve learned from my previous post I decided to host my wedding blog on WordPress. I’m not quite sure why I went with WordPress, but it was probably due to some great designs that I had seen around – and tabs. I love tabs! I guess that there was a certain hope in there for something more sophisticated.
Now that I have both, I can see the pros and cons of both and I’m not sure of what I want to do. Do I want to keep this blog here, where it’s been all along? Do I want to move it over to WordPress? Or about some of the other sites, such as TypePad and Tumblr? It’s so hard since there are so many options and no “perfect” option.
Since I have only tried WP and Blogger (both as free accounts), here are my personal pros and cons for each:
- Pro: You can edit your CSS!!! Not that I made that many changes to this template, but I like the fact that I can change anything and everything that I want around.
- Pro: A history, a sense of belonging.
- Con: Limited & mostly ugly templates.
- Con: No tabs.
- Con: Puts you in charge of deleting spam (and I have just deleted 10 spammed messages today!)
- Con: I have to use a web counter service – and can’t even remember my password anymore!
- Pro: The Dashboard is genius. It makes my life so much easier.
- Pro: Included stats! It’s addictive.
- Pro: Automatic detection of spam comments.
- Pro: The Widgets make (certain) things easy!
- Con: No CSS to edit (unless you are willing to pay).
- Con: No perfect template (unless you are willing to pay).
So. While it seems that my preference is leaning more towards WP, I’m still holding on for dear life to my CSS and the option to add certain things, like my DOPPLR badge or LinkWithin…
What do you think? How did you choose your blogging platform and what’s keeping you there?